Saturday, May 07, 2005

Cruisin' Part 5 - Saturday

5 am and it's daylight - Wow! and the sun didn't set last night until 10:10 pm. Of course, it's only six weeks until the longest day.

I bounced out of bed when I spied, out the open door, clear blue sky and the pearly snow clad mountains so very close. We were on our way up College Fjord. The sea was glass and chunks of ice from the calving glaciers slid by silently. Just a low hum from the ships motors and some far-off bird calls that I couldn't identify disturbed the chilly morning air.

A marvel of nature, these craggy mountains, glacial waters, and ages-old icefields at sunrise can stir up a spirituality in one usually logical and grounded. All the trite expressions that I've ever heard sprang into my mind:
  • chin-dropping
  • awe-struck
  • gasped in delight
  • sharp intake of breath
  • heightened my senses

A sea otter, far in the distance, glided gracefully through the water on her back....I think that was a baby on her tummy - I do wish my binoculars were higher powered. A little later, more otters frolicked around the ice floes, their little brown heads so perky when they popped up.

A large pod of whales was sighted - the spraying plumes of water brought them to our attention and we waited with hope for a full body jump but we just got a glimpse of them surfacing and a whip of a single tail.

The weather is warm enough now for us to enjoy time in the deck chairs.....I even saw a bright pink bikini on Sun deck - sadly with a rather large pink abdomen between pieces.

Tomorrow - Glacier Bay! and the weather forecast is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home